- Gastroenterology services, acute and elective
- Diagnostic Upper Endoscopy, Colonoscopy and Capsule Endoscopy
- Advanced endoscopy services and intervention
- We offer comprehensive acute and elective secondary and tertiary care gastroenterology services.
- Quaternary services in interventional endoscopy are provided regionally and nationally, including ERCP, Spyglass, EUS, POEM, Balloon Enteroscopy, HALO RFA.
- Outpatient services cover the full range of gastroenterology and hepatology, including specific IBD, hepatology, liver transplant and fibroscan clinics.
- Inpatient beds are available for IBD and Hepatology.
- Consulting services are offered for other acute GI conditions including haemorrhage.
- The department is actively engaged in clinical research and therapeutic clinical trials.
- We work in collaboration with the colorectal surgeons including joint clinics.
- Regular MDT meetings include radiology, pathology, upper and lower GI malignancy.
- Training: the service is actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate training.
Dr Frank Weilert
- Outpatient services - Gastroenterology Clinic, Day Infusion Services and Endoscopy Department – Reception I, Level 3, Meade Clinical Centre, Waikato Hospital
- Inpatient services - Ward A3, Acute Services Building, Waikato Hospital
Phone: 07 839 8899 for all services and departments
- Clinical Director - Gastroenterology
- Director of Endoscopy
- Service manager
- Seven gastroenterologists
- Two advanced trainees
- Nurse endoscopist
- IBD specialist nurse
- Hepatology nurse educator
- Clinical trial coordinators
Dr Frank Weilert
Dr Frank Weilert, MBBCh (Witwatersrand), BSc, FRACP, FASGE.
Advanced Training at Victoria Liver Transplant Unit (Melbourne) and Interventional Endoscopy Service, California Pacific Medical Centre (San Francisco)
- Interventional endoscopy including advanced therapeutic ERCP, endoscopic ultrasound, EMR, ESD, POEM, HALO RFA.
- Chronic liver disease including viral hepatitis, liver transplantation and HCC.
Dr Jim Brooker
Dr Jim Brooker, MBBS, BSc, MRCP, MD, FRACP
Graduated 1991, Guys Hospital, London
Special interests: IBD, Capsule endoscopy, HALO RFA, Double Balloon Enteroscopy, POEM, pH/manometry, Breath Testing
Dr Dara de las Heras
Dr Dara de las Heras, Medical degree. University of Alicante, Spain, 1996.
Gastroenterology training, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain.
Consultant gastroenterologist for NHS Highlands, UK 2006-15 .
Gastroenterologist for Waikato DHB since August 2015.
Special interests: Hepatology, decompensated liver disease, hepatorrenal syndrome and education.
Dr Graeme Dickson
Dr Graeme Dickson BSc(Hons) MB BS MRCP(UK) FRACP.
Graduated 1994, St George’s Hospital, London
Special Interests: Capsule endoscopy, ERCP, EMR & Interventional endoscopy
Dr Liz Phillips
Dr Liz Phillips MBBS (Hons), BMed Sci, Dip Adol Med, MD, MSc, FRCP (London, Edinburgh), FRACP.
Graduated 1986 University Newcastle upon Tyne.
Special Interests IBD, cirrhosis, adolescent medicine, GI symptoms related to systemic medical illness, & improvement and innovation in service delivery.
Dr Melissa Haines
Dr Melissa Haines, BHB, MBChB, FRACP.
Graduated 2000, University of Auckland School of Medicine.
Gastroenterology Fellowship Melbourne 2006-2007.
Consultant Gastroenterologist Waikato Hospital 2008 - present.
Special Interests: Inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, functional gut disorders.
Dr Peter (Bong Suk) Ko
Graduated Eulji Medical University, Bachelor of Medicine, Korea (Republic of) 2007
Specialist (Internal Medicine), Ministry of Health and Welfare (Korea), Korea (Republic of)
Subspecialist in Gastroenterology 2014, Korean Assocation of Internal Medicine, Korea (Republic of)
Special interest : Interventional Endoscopic Procedures (ERCP, ESD, EMR & Luminal stenting)