Research Advisory Group (RAG) for the Waikato DHB Region
Waikato DHB recently published its updated Vision and Strategy. One arm of the strategy is A centre of excellence in learning, training, research and innovation / Pae taumata
The four priorities for this strategic imperative are:
- Build close and enduring relationships with local, national, and international education providers
- Attract doctors, nurses, and allied health staff to the Waikato through high quality training and research
- Cultivate a culture of innovation, research, learning, and training across the organisation
- Foster a research environment that is responsive to the needs of our population
- To provide high level leadership, governance, strategic direction and oversight of research activity at Waikato DHB.
- To promote and develop Waikato DHB’s research culture by ensuring a transparent, supportive and appropriate research environment and infrastructure; and by nurturing and enhancing research capability, capacity and performance.
- To promote and develop a centre of excellence for Maori Health and health equity research and innovation which will build close and enduring relationships with Maori health researchers and Maori organisations and community in the Waikato.
- To ensure research undertaken within Waikato District Health Board is scientifically valid, is carried out in a co-ordinated manner, follows policy and has the potential to improve service delivery, personal health outcomes or population health.
- To ensure results of research undertaken is disseminated appropriately.
- Increase the focus on translational research (research into practice); service delivery research
- To provide leadership and encourage participation in research at Waikato DHB, while maintaining safety and effectiveness.
- To promote evidence based practice and innovation through research.
- To identify areas of potential growth in high quality research relevant to our population and to promote mechanisms to stimulate appropriate research programmes in such areas
- Identify 4-5 themes and explicitly support these
- To oversee organisational research / innovation to change models of care
- To provide a conduit for the accountability of researchers to the Executive Group
- To oversee the publication of the annual research report
- To receive and consider reports on the research undertaken at Waikato DHB.
- To assist in the decision making process regarding ethical issues pertaining to clinical situations. The Committee may co-opt other appropriate representation and will report through appropriate channels on completion of its deliberation. The committee can be convened at the discretion of the chair as and when required.
- To provide advice on matters relating to research at Waikato DHB, including policies and strategies for fostering and advancing research and innovation.
- Grow research with a view to widening to include community and region.
- To provide advice on research strategy and policy direction to Board.
- To increase external funding for research
- To consider and report on any matter concerning research referred to it by the Executive Group and/or researchers.
Clinical Director, Strategy & Funding
Director, Quality & Patient Safety
- Chief Executive
- Director Quality & Patient Safety
- Executive Director – Office of CE
- Exec Director Corporate Services
- Exec Director Maori Health
- Chief Nursing & Midwifery Officer
- Chief Medical Officer
- Chief Data Officer
- Clinical Director Information Services
- Clinical Director Strategy & Funding / and Virtual Healthcare Integrated Care
- Waikato Clinical School
- University of Waikato
- Allied Health
- 3 x Waikato DHB Researchers*
- Clinical Trials*
- Primary Health Organisations
*These representatives will be appointed for a 24 month period.
Note: Some people represent multiple roles.
Others invited as appropriate.
Reports to Executive Group, Waikato DHB
Quorum : Eight, with one of those being the chair or deputy chair
Frequency of meetings
Quarterly meetings; although may be more frequent if required.
Terms of reference as at June 2018. Reviewed annually.