The Māori Health Service - Te Puna Oranga of the Waikato DHB is responsible for providing Māori consultation for researchers.
The research committee considers the following issues to be important when undertaking research involving or regarding Māori:
- the values and tikanga inherent in whānau, hapū and iwi
- the need for a process that is culturally safe and supportive
- the need to protect whakapapa
- the need to protect individual and informed choice.
It is important that the Treaty of Waitangi principles be encompassed within the guidelines.
The committee emphasises the importance of:
- the protection of Whakapapa Māori, confidentiality and privacy
- respect for Tikanga Māori and kaumātua counselling, and whānau assistance at the initial interview
- the Treaty of Waitangi principles i.e. Partnership, Participation, Protection and Wairua
- the interpretation and application of the Treaty principles to ethical review may be needed.
Please refer to the document downloads at the bottom of this page regarding Māori consultation application and human tissue collection/storage documentation.
- It should be noted that Māori consultation and local authorisation will work concurrently. You will first need to register your research with Waikato DHB.
- To be considered please provide complete copies of:
- your ethics application (HDEC or Institutional application)
- Participant Consent and Participant Information Sheet(s), where applicable
- laboratory confirmation pertaining to the storage of tissue/blood samples that will be sent overseas, where applicable
- Māori Research Ethical Framework - Te Ara Tika guidelines for Māori research.
Please note, applications received after the closing dates will not be accepted for following meeting dates scheduled.
- Guidelines for researchers on health research involving Māori [PDF, 249 KB]
- Te Ara Tika guidelines for Māori research ethics [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- Ethnicity Issues – Is ethnicity a variable of analysis in your research [PDF, 62 KB]
- Ethnicity data protocols for the Health and Disability sector [PDF, 472 KB]
- “Race,” Racism, and the practice of epidemiology [PDF, 70 KB]
- Hauora Māori standards of Health IV [PDF, 4.2 MB]
- Māori consultation at Waikato DHB [PDF, 185 KB]
- Māori Responsiveness Paper for HRC applicants [PDF, 286 KB]