Waikato District Health Board:
- employs more than 6500 people.
- covers a large geographical area in the upper central North Island of New Zealand, known as the Waikato. Its corporate office and tertiary hospital are in Hamilton city.
- plans, funds and provides hospital, health and disability services to the more than 391,770 people, either directly or by funding and contracting other providers.
- includes a tertiary hospital, a secondary hospital, three rural hospitals and it also offers a wide range of community-based and health promotion services.
- provides tertiary services (such as neurosurgery and other highly complex surgery, specialised medical procedures and specialist trauma services) to a Midland health region population of more than 846,600.
- is one of 20 district health boards in New Zealand.
A board of elected and appointed members, up to a total of 11, has strategic oversight of the organisation.
District health board elections are held every three years, at the same time as other local body elections.