District nurses provide a wide range of services in their local communities, often visiting people in their home. We work closely with allied health staff such as physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
District nurses provide expert assessment, management, support and education for
- wound care
- IV (intravenous) management
- palliative/end of life care
- ostomy care
- continence assessment/catheter management
- assessment for acute personal care and home help assessment (non-ACC)
- support with home oxygen
- health education
- liaison with other health professionals.
Our district nurse teams work from 16 bases across the Waikato District Health Board area.
- The largest team is based around Hamilton and surrounding small urban towns and rural areas.
- The Hauraki/Thames/Coromandel team is based at Thames hospital with smaller bases distributed around that area.
- The three southern rural teams are based at the southern rural hospital sites.
When you are referred to our service, we will contact you and make an appointment for a first visit. We will supply you with the contact information you need.
Referral is only through your GP or hospital service.
All referrals must come through the Community Regional Referral Centre.
Self-referrals are not accepted.